Earlier, police reported two arrested men, who were suspected of attacking Jussie Smollett. Later, law enforcement officials said they had no evidence for the further arrest of the men. On Friday, the suspects were released after another interrogation, NBC News reports.
“This interrogation helped investigators to 'recover' the details of the attack on Smollett and continue the investigation with new evidence. Both men were released without charge,” said Anthony Guglielm police spokesman.
On Jan.29, Jussie Smollett went to the police and said that he was the victim of cruel beatings and different jokes. The actor also added that two masked men doused him with some kind of liquid (presumably, that was a bleach). Chicago police said they are investigating this hate and racist crime. On Friday, law enforcement officials said that the two suspects did not receive charges and were released, because the police did not have enough evidence.
"Justice is restored. My clients did not commit this attack and they can return home," said the men’s lawyer.
Two men were arrested at the airport after returning from Nigeria. The police also issued a search warrant for their home. Later, Anthony Guglielmi said that one of the suspects has worked on "Empire." The attack was filmed on camera and the two men looked like criminals. But at the same time, law enforcement agencies think that this attack could have been staged, because Smollett refused to provide his telephone conversations and messages for further investigation. The actor only said that he was talking to the manager, when the attack happened. In addition, the police could not find a video from the scene for a long time. Some social media users suspect the actor of staging an attack, too.
"Great PR," "Where is the evidence?" users wrote.
"I read the reviews and posts of the fans and I am upset. They think that this attack was staged or I just wanted to remind about myself. Are you serious? Do you think I like to hear such insults and receive blows?" Jussie Smollett tweeted.
"I hope that the criminals will be caught, since they can attack any of us. I don’t understand why my fans think that I organized this attack ... I’m really upset," the actor added.
Police said it will continue to investigate and search for criminals, who humiliated and beat Jussie Smollett last month.
"I promise to find criminals and indict them," Anthony Guglielmi said.
- Jussie Smollett: 'I am still standing'
- Hate Crimes in Los Angeles at Their Highest in 10 Years